Thursday, November 3, 2011

I'm nervous about this post, but I thought is was time to share my news with the world. Please, don't judge me. It sounds disgusting, but I promise it's not!

In the past two weeks I have only washed my hair once. Okay, that's not entirely true. I've used shampoo only once.

A few months ago, actually right after having Jack, I came across a a blog called Sorta Crunchy. <--(this link will take you to the post I'm talking about.)


On her blog, I came found a post about no poo. What is no poo? No poo (no shampoo) is a collective term for methods of washing hair with no commercial shampoo.

The method I have been using is baking soda and apple cider vinegar. First, you make a paste out of the baking soda and water. Massage your head with the paste, let it sit a few minutes, then rinse it out. After rinsing out the paste, mix the acv with water I do a 1:3 ratio. I then dip my ends into the acv and then pour the rest over my scalp.

I know, it sounds gross and smelly, but I promise, after rinsing out the acv you can't smell it at all.

As a wife and mother, it is important to me to save my family money, as well as make our home a happy and healthy place. Commercial shampoo can be expensive, and it is full of harmful chemicals. I personally, have a very dry scalp and store bought shampoo just makes this problem worse (even "dandruff" shampoo doesn't help.)

The reason I first wanted to try a 'poo free lifestyle was because scented shampoo was making me sick! Since getting pregnant and having Jack scented lotions/shampoos/perfumes/and soaps (including laundry soap) make me really nauseous for some reason.

I'm really happy with this method thus far. I use it as often as needed, about 2-3x a week, and my hair feels nice and healthy. I didn't think it would work because my hair normally gets really oily but I haven't had any problems at all :)

The next "crunchy" venture I'm going to take is washing my face with oil! You can ready more about no 'poo ,and the oil cleansing method(washing face with oil) at SortaCrunchy!

2 comments:

  1. In the last picture you posted on facebook (where you are holding Jack on your lap) I was going to ask you what you did to your hair to make it so nice and shiny looking--I was torn away from the computer, by something baby-related I am sure. :) It sounds easy and definitely worth trying. It is amazing all the things baking soda is good for. I basically go in to panic mode if I ever run out.

    ReplyDelete